Questions about the Rules Preview

Rules and games of 1650

Questions about the Rules Preview

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Lun Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm

The preview rulebook states on page 7, on the third bullet in the box the following:

"When hiring a band, you must consider that the total sum of the Maravedies from its pawns's Incentives can never be higher than the total number of pawns on the game surface at the beginning of the conflict."

Should it be "lower" rather than "higher", since currently it means that you are forced to recruit lots of low-cost zero-Incentive models for every model with higher than one Incentive? Unless I'm reading it wrong, that is.
Última edición por Lemminkäinen el Mar Feb 05, 2013 12:14 pm, editado 2 veces en total
Lemminkäinen

Estado: Desconectado

Re: The third restriction in hiring a band

Notapor Sergus » Mar Feb 05, 2013 12:10 am

Yeah, that should be "lower". Good point. I'll fix it right now.
Sergus

Re: Questions about the Rules Preview

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Mar Feb 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Thank you for the speedy answer!

I'll gather here all the questions that I come up with reading the preview (I also edited the topic title to reflect this). These come in order so it is possible that some questions would be answered simply by reading further into the book, so apologies if that happens. Also, some of these might be seen as being a bit nitpicky - I'm not trying to punch holes in a rules lawyerish way, just aiming for maximal clarity.

Questions about page 14, Engaging an Enemy Pawn

1) If a pawn has a melee weapon with Range, what happens in the following situation
ABC
So A has a ranged melee weapon and is engaged by pawn B in base to base. Pawn C, an ally of B and opponent of A, is within the range of A's melee weapon but is effectively blocked by B. Can A attack C? What if they aren't perfectly aligned but C is still in the same facing as B so they can't move to engage but are within a clash with A?

Apologies for that being a bit of a mess and congratulations if you manage to decipher what I'm actually asking... It's just that ranged melee weapons seem to cause a lot of confusion and are sorta hard to articulate exactly (by far the most FAQ entries and errata in Alkemy seemed to be about them, for example).

2) The last paragraph of Engaging an Enemy Pawn - must the pawn turning turn directly towards (Approach part of the base touching) the enemy or can they choose to turn to face the enemy with the front left or front right of the base?

Page 15, Small Obstacles

3) 5cm high? Isn't that higher than the minis so the obstacle would block them completely?

Page 16, Reaction Shot

4) Do you need to expend an activation turn, so to speak, to set up a pawn into reaction shot capability and does the state carry on to the next turn? In other words, if I won the Audacity roll and need to activate first, can I choose a pawn, put the card forward but declare that I don't activate it but rather set it to reaction shot state? Does the model in this state count as non-activated so will they turn to face the enemy if they are engaged from behind? Or are all ranged models in this state by default so that they can, as long as they haven't activated, interrupt the enemy's movement and shoot them?

OK, that's it for now, I will continue reading and posting questions.
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Mar Feb 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Page 17, Inmediate Target (note that there is a typo in the heading)

5) How does line of sight work? It is laid out in general terms on page 7, but it doesn't define it well enough, IMO. Usually in minis games there's three ways in which line of sight can work
  • If you can draw a line from any one point on your base to any point in your target's base, you have line of sight to the target.
  • If you can draw a line from the center of your base to the center of your opponent's base, you have LOS.
  • If you can draw a line from every point on your base to every point in your target's base, you have LOS.
I'm guessing that the last option is the correct here, but I'm not sure. That would mean that there would need to be a clear "corridor" the width of the bases of the shooter and the target.

Page 17, Discharge Modificers (note that there is a typo in the heading)

6) "Obviously, an obstacle that the firing pawn is hiding behind won't be taken into account" - A hiding pawn can't make shooting attacks (or it ceases to be hidden), so this should probably read that obstacles that the pawn is in base to base contact with are not taken into account.
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Mar Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Page 18, Devices of the Modern Era

7) "None of these devices affect pawns in cover behind large obstacles, unless they are considered small for cover purposes"

Does this mean that cover is still checked from the shooter (well, grenadier in this case) as opposed to from the middle of the blast?

8) "And besides, any explosion caused by one of these devices requires removing small obstacles in range"

What does this mean? Do explosions destroy small obstacles and remove them from the game?

9) "Also, if you throw a grenado and the objective is 15cm beyond its Range, you will automatically fail the Discharge roll."

Does this mean that you can throw grenades up to 15cm over their maximum range?

Hopefully this is helpful - I really, really don't mean to burden you :oops:

As an aside, I just described your rulebook as having undoubtedly the best art of any minis rulebook I've ever seen. By a gigantic margin :lol:
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Sergus » Jue Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Oh, it isn't a problem at all. It's good to do this FAQs. New players can learn to play much more easily.

Lemminkäinen escribió:1) If a pawn has a melee weapon with Range, what happens in the following situation
ABC
So A has a ranged melee weapon and is engaged by pawn B in base to base. Pawn C, an ally of B and opponent of A, is within the range of A's melee weapon but is effectively blocked by B. Can A attack C? What if they aren't perfectly aligned but C is still in the same facing as B so they can't move to engage but are within a clash with A?

We answered that question in the Spanish forum ( our bad it isn't translated ¬¬ ). You can't fight throw a miniature. No matter if you have a cc weapon with Range value, the miniature in the middle is stopping the one with the ranged weapon.

Lemminkäinen escribió:2) The last paragraph of Engaging an Enemy Pawn - must the pawn turning turn directly towards (Approach part of the base touching) the enemy or can they choose to turn to face the enemy with the front left or front right of the base?

With the Approach, of course.

Lemminkäinen escribió:3) 5cm high? Isn't that higher than the minis so the obstacle would block them completely?

That's the maximum. And that rule is more about the high they can jump when charging. Although maybe we might write 3 cm. mmm... :ugeek:

Lemminkäinen escribió:4) Do you need to expend an activation turn, so to speak, to set up a pawn into reaction shot capability and does the state carry on to the next turn? In other words, if I won the Audacity roll and need to activate first, can I choose a pawn, put the card forward but declare that I don't activate it but rather set it to reaction shot state? Does the model in this state count as non-activated so will they turn to face the enemy if they are engaged from behind? Or are all ranged models in this state by default so that they can, as long as they haven't activated, interrupt the enemy's movement and shoot them?

You say it's going to use its activation for using that Discharge Maneuver, so it will activate WHEM you choose. It means that it isn't activated yet, but could activate during the turn, when you make the shot, unless the usual rules wouldn't let you do so.
Sergus

Notapor Sergus » Jue Feb 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Lemminkäinen escribió:5) How does line of sight work? It is laid out in general terms on page 7, but it doesn't define it well enough, IMO. Usually in minis games there's three ways in which line of sight can work
  • If you can draw a line from any one point on your base to any point in your target's base, you have line of sight to the target.
  • If you can draw a line from the center of your base to the center of your opponent's base, you have LOS.
  • If you can draw a line from every point on your base to every point in your target's base, you have LOS.
I'm guessing that the last option is the correct here, but I'm not sure. That would mean that there would need to be a clear "corridor" the width of the bases of the shooter and the target.

It's the last one, but you have to see the WHOLE miniature and base, or you'll have to apply a cover modifier.

Lemminkäinen escribió:6) "Obviously, an obstacle that the firing pawn is hiding behind won't be taken into account" - A hiding pawn can't make shooting attacks (or it ceases to be hidden), so this should probably read that obstacles that the pawn is in base to base contact with are not taken into account.

Yeah, that's a problem with the word we used in that "joke". It only means that you don't need to apply the modifier for the obstacle you're behinf of, BUT if you're hiding, you'd never be able to shoot, or, in fact, you'd loose the hiding rule.
Sergus

Notapor Sergus » Jue Feb 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Lemminkäinen escribió:7) "None of these devices affect pawns in cover behind large obstacles, unless they are considered small for cover purposes"

Does this mean that cover is still checked from the shooter (well, grenadier in this case) as opposed to from the middle of the blast?

That's a really point. You can't throw a grenade where you can't see, so, no matter where it explodes, the point of view of the grenadier would be the one taken into account, isn't it? But if we think in bombs and so, I had to say the position of the explosion would be the one taken into account, so for ding it more easily, I'd say the explosion would be allways the point of vie you had to take into account.

Lemminkäinen escribió:8) "And besides, any explosion caused by one of these devices requires removing small obstacles in range"

What does this mean? Do explosions destroy small obstacles and remove them from the game?

That's exactly what they do XD

Lemminkäinen escribió:9) "Also, if you throw a grenado and the objective is 15cm beyond its Range, you will automatically fail the Discharge roll."

Does this mean that you can throw grenades up to 15cm over their maximum range?

No. Why? o_0
Sergus

Notapor Sergus » Jue Feb 07, 2013 4:25 pm

More, GIVE ME MORE XD
Sergus

Notapor Ninja » Jue Feb 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Sergus escribió:
Lemminkäinen escribió:7) "None of these devices affect pawns in cover behind large obstacles, unless they are considered small for cover purposes"

That's a really point. You can't throw a grenade where you can't see, so, no matter where it explodes, the point of view of the grenadier would be the one taken into account, isn't it? But if we think in bombs and so, I had to say the position of the explosion would be the one taken into account, so for ding it more easily, I'd say the explosion would be allways the point of vie you had to take into account.

Might I throw a thought. The point of the actual explosion should be considered for what has cover or not. In WW1 they would throw bombs in to trenches even though they could not see the enemy because the shrapnel is no longer protected against.

A gun shot or straight/failing line Would cross the cover marked "m" making it harder to hit the target to do damage

0 <__________________________ O
M I M M I M

However with a bomb or thrown item with a arching path regardless of a line of sight will mark damage as normal. Although it will not be a direct hit the protection of a linear obstacle does very little against the residual blast

( )
( )
( )
( )
( 0 O
M X I M M I M
Ninja

Siguiente

Volver a IN GAME