Questions about the Rules Preview

Rules and games of 1650

Re: Questions about the Rules Preview

Notapor Surien » Jue Feb 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Sergus escribió:I've got the print proof in my hands right now ( Jealous? :twisted: ). I'll be reading and editing the last fails till Sunday, so we can start to produce them all next week.

Yeeeeha!!

How it's the text-background contrast, it's good once printed?

Arghh I cant't wait to having it in my hands!! ^_^
Surien

Estado: Desconectado

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Vie Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Ah, well, here's a bit of typo-checking, then.

*Engaging extreme pedantry mode*

Page 5,

"We know that measurements in inches are more common in this kind of games"
Should be
"We know that measurements in inches are more common in these kinds of games"

"The rest of the time tape measures should be put away to avoid rival's suspicions"
Rival needs an article, so perhaps like this
"The rest of the time tape measures should be put away to avoid the rival's suspicions"

"Comissions are the settings that can be represented during the Conflicts. In Comissions section, in page 36 of these rules, you will find some of them."
Should be
"Commissions are the settings that can be represented during the Conflicts. In Commissions section, on page 36 of these rules, you will find some of them."
Commission is also spelled twice with one 'm' too little in the final paragraph of the page. Also, I'm not sure whether you can say "during night or day time" since nighttime and daytime are compound words. Maybe "during nighttime or daytime"? Not super sure of this - I'm not a native English speaker and Finnish has very strict and clear rules about compound words.
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Vie Feb 15, 2013 3:23 pm

A quick general note, the abbreviation for centimetres, "cm", doesn't include the dot after it in English. In other words, you should change all instances of "cm." in the middle of sentences into just "cm" without the full stop.
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Sab Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Am I correct in thinking that damage is inferior to the attack/reply stat? In that since the SL is always added to the damage, having one point lower attack/reply is just as big an addition to the damage as having one point better damage.

Also, Oficial attacking with Tizona, scoring a critical causes 13 points of damage (6 for crit damage and seven for SL)? Which is enough to kill anything in the game? So why does he have the Smashing (C) ability on the Tizona? Do note that I haven't yet read the Dexterity cards or seen the stats of the various Personalities, so maybe there is something that would allow someone to survive the hit, but it still seems like quite a lot.
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Sab Feb 16, 2013 9:07 pm

More fruits of random typo checking:

Page 9,

"a Attribute"
Should be
"an Attribute"

"as if a result of 9, instead of 10."
Should be
"as if a result of 9, instead of 10 had been rolled."

Page 11,

"each player must roll a D10 and count the number of Maravedies"
Should be
"each player must roll a D10 and add to it the number of Maravedies"

Page 12

"indicated by each skill"
Should have a full stop at the end
"indicated by each skill."

(See, extreme pedantry mode :lol: )

Page 13

"A swimming pawn can notuse distance weapons."
A space has been misplaced
"A swimming pawn cannot use distance weapons."
OTOH you have been using contractions elsewhere in the text, so maybe just use "can't"

Page 14

"Pawns not activated during the turn will always turn themselves around to face the pawn who has just engaged them."
Yet on page 11 it is said that
"A pawn engaged from the Rearguard won't be able to flee the clash or turn around"
These two statements seem to be at odds with one another.
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Sergus » Dom Feb 17, 2013 10:24 am

Lemminkäinen escribió:Am I correct in thinking that damage is inferior to the attack/reply stat? In that since the SL is always added to the damage, having one point lower attack/reply is just as big an addition to the damage as having one point better damage.

Well, having a lower Attack/Reply also guarantees your sucess in the Attack/Reply roll. It's not only for causing damage.

Lemminkäinen escribió:Also, Oficial attacking with Tizona, scoring a critical causes 13 points of damage (6 for crit damage and seven for SL)? Which is enough to kill anything in the game? So why does he have the Smashing (C) ability on the Tizona? Do note that I haven't yet read the Dexterity cards or seen the stats of the various Personalities, so maybe there is something that would allow someone to survive the hit, but it still seems like quite a lot.

Yeah, and El Embajador does something similar. But in the future it won't be so clear they can't use those Special Rules...
Sergus

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Dom Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Sergus escribió:
Lemminkäinen escribió:Am I correct in thinking that damage is inferior to the attack/reply stat? In that since the SL is always added to the damage, having one point lower attack/reply is just as big an addition to the damage as having one point better damage.

Well, having a lower Attack/Reply also guarantees your sucess in the Attack/Reply roll. It's not only for causing damage.

Aye, I merely wanted to make sure that, aside from Blocking, having a better Attack stat is always preferable to having better damage.

Incidentally, Blocking works a bit strangely in that if you're really good at blocking (have a low value) you won't be able to block the heavier blows. Not a critique, mind you, it might actually lead to an interesting dynamic, just seemed a wee bit strange.

A question: If a pawn is wounded to the worst part (the "reddest") and performs a climb roll (difficulty 8+), do they also take the -1 penalty to dice rolls -thingy when performing the the climb check? Also, if a pawn gets wounded enough to check both the mid wounds and the high wounds, do they need to make two Audacity checks or only one?

And another one: This might be a silly question, but when a bomb has been set and the amount of turns needed has elapsed, does the bomb go off at then beginning of the round or during the bomb setter's activation? I guess it's the first?

And a third one for good measure: Attack of Opportunity - how can a pawn enter another one's Action are without engaging them and when would you do such a thing?

Hmm, actually one more: Resolution of Clashes - the team with more Vigour points wins. So it is possible to win the combat roll and cause damage, but if the opponent still has more Vigour, you lose? So a Mochilero rolling a seven against a fearsome Sargento rolling a two causes two points of damage but since both were unharmed before the clash, Sargento still has eight Vigour and therefore one more than the brave Mochilero. So did Mochilero lose the clash?

Anyway, here's my final (I guess) contribution to finding typos. Hopefully this is at least semi-useful.

Page 15,

"These obstacles are items pawns find in their way and prevent them from seeing and moving normally."
The sentence structure is a bit weird. Maybe something like this instead:
"These obstacles are items pawns find in their way preventing them from seeing and moving normally."

"A clear example of this would be a pawn hanging out of a window."
Hanging seems like a strange activity for an able pawn, maybe 'peeking out' or 'watching from' instead?

"even if part of its base"
missing an article, should be
"even if a part of its base"

"Any enemy paws has a clear Line of Sight with no obstructions to all its base, or all the miniature that represents it"
all its base is a strange expression and all the miniature is even more unusual. I would go with something like
"Any enemy paws has a clear Line of Sight with no obstructions to the whole of its base, or the whole miniature that represents it"

Page 16,

"The active pawn, which will carry out the Discharge roll, select a target"
since the pawn is in singular, it should be "selects"

Page 17,

"Although Slow weapons can be used several times before reloading"
Maybe add a 'some':
"Although some Slow weapons can be used several times before reloading"

Page 18,

"With any result different to 1 or 10"
Should be
"With any result different from 1 or 10"
or (my preference):
"With any result other than 1 or 10"
I would also go so far as to add articles to the results (but not 100% of this):
"With any result other than a 1 or a 10"

"and free of clashes over a full turn."
I would change it to
"and free of clashes for a full turn."

Page 20,

"The Leader's Audacity value (or any other similar pawn) cannot be used in these cases."
Should be
"The Leader's Audacity value (or that of any other similar pawn's) cannot be used in these cases."

Page 22,

"In a case there are two pawns with two weapons"
Shouldn't have the article:
"In case there are two pawns with two weapons"
Also note that as far as I can tell, the situation detailed in the paragraph can never happen since you need to have hit with the first weapon in order to try to hit with the second one and both combatants can't have hit with their first weapon. Or maybe the use of Dexterity Cards can cause such a situation (haven't read them).

Page 23,

"unless it has a weapon with Special Rule "Block"."
Should be
"unless it has a weapon with the Special Rule "Block"."

Page 25,

"Rolls must be executed immediately when indicated circumstances take place"
Should be
"Rolls must be executed immediately when the indicated circumstances take place"

Whew. Hopefully this was at least mildly helpful. And good luck with the printing! 8-)
Lemminkäinen

Notapor Sergus » Lun Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am

Lemminkäinen escribió:Incidentally, Blocking works a bit strangely in that if you're really good at blocking (have a low value) you won't be able to block the heavier blows. Not a critique, mind you, it might actually lead to an interesting dynamic, just seemed a wee bit strange.

Well, no matter if you're as good as you'd be able to stop any attack. If you're trying to stop a hammerwith your hand ( for example ) your skills will be useless XD In this case, the point is the Damage.

Lemminkäinen escribió:If a pawn is wounded to the worst part (the "reddest") and performs a climb roll (difficulty 8+), do they also take the -1 penalty to dice rolls -thingy when performing the the climb check? Also, if a pawn gets wounded enough to check both the mid wounds and the high wounds, do they need to make two Audacity checks or only one?

1- You have to apply both modifiers. Or said in another way: You're not going so far XD

2- No, you only have to make a single Audacity roll. But, for example, if an enemy wound you to the "brown", and then another one, after that, wound you to the "red", you'd have to make 2 Audacity rolls. One after every wound.

Lemminkäinen escribió:When a bomb has been set and the amount of turns needed has elapsed, does the bomb go off at then beginning of the round or during the bomb setter's activation? I guess it's the first?

At the beginning, of course.

Lemminkäinen escribió:Attack of Opportunity - how can a pawn enter another one's Action are without engaging them and when would you do such a thing?

When you have a pawn with a close combat weapon with Range, for example ( because you're 5 cm. away, but you're engaged ). Or when you're engaging a pawn. There's no other way.

Lemminkäinen escribió:Resolution of Clashes - the team with more Vigour points wins. So it is possible to win the combat roll and cause damage, but if the opponent still has more Vigour, you lose? So a Mochilero rolling a seven against a fearsome Sargento rolling a two causes two points of damage but since both were unharmed before the clash, Sargento still has eight Vigour and therefore one more than the brave Mochilero. So did Mochilero lose the clash?

Yeah XD In fact, El Embajador has a Peculiarity that says he has the double of Vigour when seeing who's the winner of a clash, so he can win against several enemies. That's the way we represent that if you're cutting/damaging an enemy, but he's bigger than you ( or has more friends XD ), he will continue pushing you back.
Sergus

Notapor Sergus » Lun Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am

These could do a good FAQ ;]
Sergus

Notapor Lemminkäinen » Lun Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Thank you again - very enlightening!
Sergus escribió:
Lemminkäinen escribió:Attack of Opportunity - how can a pawn enter another one's Action are without engaging them and when would you do such a thing?

When you have a pawn with a close combat weapon with Range, for example ( because you're 5 cm. away, but you're engaged ). Or when you're engaging a pawn. There's no other way.

On page 22, Attack of Opportunity:
"An attack of opportunity is a free attack that takes place when a pawn goes into an enemy's Action Area, without engaging him"
And then
"An attack of opportunity is a single Reply roll that does not take into account the Range of the weapon used"

That latter part made me think that ranged melee weapons couldn't make attacks of opportunity from afar (merely from base to base) and the first part makes a note of going into an enemy's Action Area without engaging him.

Lemminkäinen escribió:Resolution of Clashes - the team with more Vigour points wins. So it is possible to win the combat roll and cause damage, but if the opponent still has more Vigour, you lose? So a Mochilero rolling a seven against a fearsome Sargento rolling a two causes two points of damage but since both were unharmed before the clash, Sargento still has eight Vigour and therefore one more than the brave Mochilero. So did Mochilero lose the clash?

Yeah XD In fact, El Embajador has a Peculiarity that says he has the double of Vigour when seeing who's the winner of a clash, so he can win against several enemies. That's the way we represent that if you're cutting/damaging an enemy, but he's bigger than you ( or has more friends XD ), he will continue pushing you back.

When you put it that way, it makes a lot sense :lol:
Lemminkäinen

AnteriorSiguiente

Volver a IN GAME