A Guards Band

1650 Factions

A Guards Band

Notapor cymruvoodoo » Lun Jul 09, 2012 10:56 pm

Well, this space is far too lonely and after doing a bit of poking around I've come up with a place to start as far as list building. Conveniently, it also provides a full 250 Maravedies' worth of list and gets a good number of the models I want to use onto the tabletop. So, without further ado, the Guardia de la Casa de Contratación!

Alguacil
Irene Vioque
Guardia
Guarnicionero
Bisoño

It comes out quite tidily to 250 points exactly, gives me two pistols, two models with bucklers, and of course that lovely halberd. I have no idea what range Irene's pistol has but if it's a little bit more or less than the Alguacil's pistol then that will be just fine. The Guardia and Guarnicionero both come with the very nice Skillful ability and respectable amounts of Vigour and armour.

The clear downsides are that piercing weapons take the nice armour and make it not so nice by only applying the native defense. It is also a fairly veteran force and at risk of being ganged-up on by someone who takes a couple of Convicts or Bisoños for cannon fodder and swarm tactics. Finally, it's a slightly odd faction in terms of range. It's not entirely an up-close face beating group but it can certainly do a bit of damage in melee when it gets there. It's also not got anything with very long range. It looks on paper like you will have to take care, when maneuvering, to make the best of positioning such that you can get the drop with the pistols in order to damage targets before charging in to finish them off.

The advantage of having the Bisoño in there, aside from the fact that the price is right, is that unlike the Recruit or Mozo, the Bisoño's defense is native defense, the Bisoño trades the crossbow for a buckler for a bit of melee survivability against light troops, and while the Bisoño's morale is a little less steady, that Haste looks like it might be a quiet game-winner to give him that extra edge in movement.

The other thing about this list is that I quite like every model but one in it. The Alguacil I'm just not sure about, but I'm not 100% liking either leader available so I'll keep the one with the pistol. The Bisoño, Guardia, and Guarnicionero all look very good with plenty of detail and good variety of surfaces to paint and Irene looks to be a fantastic model. In the end, then, how can I go wrong?
cymruvoodoo

Estado: Desconectado

Re: A Guards Band

Notapor Sergus » Mar Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Well, in 1650 everything can go wrong. That's part of the fun XD

I'd make the same band you have there. It has some pawns for stopping the others, some ranged weapons and that Guarnicionero ( Oh, that Guarniconero, hitting form the distancie... :P ). It's a good band, but surely you'd have to change things depending on your enemy. For example, as we're talking in the Spanish forum, if Zurriago is in the other side of the tabletop, your have 3 options: Use Convictos as shields ( nobody matters what happen with these guys, isn't it? ); contract a Zurriago, using Irene's rule; or use every corner, rock tree or barrel in your way for covering XD

But, well, at this point it's a good band. Balanced, and with good models.
Sergus

Re: A Guards Band

Notapor cymruvoodoo » Mar Jul 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Hey, if everything can go wrong for me, it can go wrong for the person on the other side of the table too! The real trick is managing the crisis.

Now, that being said, I like the look of this band at 250 maravedies. I have followed the discussion on the zurriago on the Spanish side of the forum and I admit that it's dangerous to have that range and firepower booming away if it's on the other side. However, as you point out, there's options besides hiring one of your own. A good use of terrain, a sacrificial Pawn (perhaps a fast-moving Pawn with Haste?) and the zurriago's slow rate of fire all mean that I don't think it's quite as dangerous as it seems at first glance. Also, the fact that Slow weapons cannot move very far and reload, plus Pawns with Slow weapons have to make Audacity checks to reload if an enemy Pawn is within 15 cm, means that the zurriago is actually quite limited.

Now, that doesn't mean it's not dangerous, it absolutely is, but the danger is fairly conditional and it can be managed. I'm actually a little more worried about bands which operate with swarm tactics since the band I've put together is fairly expensive all around and is at risk if encircled. That's where I have to get aggressive about thinning out numbers before they can pin me in melee.

As far as basic principles, I think depending on the terrain I will try to keep them in combat pairs - the alguacil and the guarniconero will function in one group while the Guardia and Irene function in another. That gives me a good mix of melee and pistols. The Bisoño will either beef up Irene's group or "break trail" for either group if there's a risk of an ambush and I need to draw the other player in to committing his Pawns. Alternatively, I could also run him up one or the other flank to harass Pawns which are holding back. Am I reading Charge correctly that you can use it to hustle forward even if you don't have a target Pawn to engage? I think that's the case, in which case Haste is a real advantage to keeping Pawns moving at top speed.
cymruvoodoo

Volver a FACTIONS