Questions from a new (almost) player

Lastest news and general topics

Questions from a new (almost) player

Notapor cymruvoodoo » Sab Jul 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, I'm as new around here as anyone, I think, but I love the look of the models and the rules seem interesting. For the moment I have two questions and one comment:

Question 1. Does Irene Vioque have the Leader peculiarity?

Question 2. If Irene Vioque does not have the Leader peculiarity, then what is her role in a Guarda list? It seems she has a pistol and it doesn't look like much of either faction revealed so far is big on models who only provide support, so I'm sure she gets stuck in, but how so?

Comment: I love much of what I see here in 1650, the focus on gorgeous models and putting a few richly detailed and well painted figures on the tabletop. I also love that you've got things like lighting built in to the rules in a way that seems pretty elegant and simple. However, one thing I don't like is the translation. The English version of the rules, when compared with the original spanish, is mistranslated in a number of places that make it difficult to read. If the rules have not yet gone to print I would greatly encourage another pass through on the editing. I will gladly volunteer some comments if that would be welcome.
cymruvoodoo

Estado: Desconectado

Re: Questions from a new (almost) player

Notapor Sergus » Dom Jul 08, 2012 10:18 am

Hello, Cymruvoodoo, I'll try to answer your questions:

cymruvoodoo escribió:Question 1. Does Irene Vioque have the Leader peculiarity?

No, but she can let other pawns use her Audacity value for their Audacity rolls.

In the other hand, one of our ideas for the future, is make a little group of pawns that could work for Irene Vioque or El Embajador, as they'd be Leaders. But it's for a far future.

cymruvoodoo escribió:Question 2. If Irene Vioque does not have the Leader peculiarity, then what is her role in a Guard list? It seems she has a pistol and it doesn't look like much of either faction revealed so far is big on models who only provide support, so I'm sure she gets stuck in, but how so?

Well, I think her more important use ( apart of shooting with that big gun ;] ) is that if you contract her, you can also contract a pawn from any band of the game ( no matter which faction is it from ). For example, with Irene in your band, you could contract a Zurriago of the Old Purples. And that's a REALLY advantage, because no one can mix pawns from other factions.

cymruvoodoo escribió:Comment: I love much of what I see here in 1650, the focus on gorgeous models and putting a few richly detailed and well painted figures on the tabletop. I also love that you've got things like lighting built in to the rules in a way that seems pretty elegant and simple. However, one thing I don't like is the translation. The English version of the rules, when compared with the original spanish, is mistranslated in a number of places that make it difficult to read. If the rules have not yet gone to print I would greatly encourage another pass through on the editing. I will gladly volunteer some comments if that would be welcome.

Yesterday, David ( the one who's editing the English rules ) asked me for all the rules ( old and new ), for editing them again. I suppose he saw something strange too. Sincerely, I did read them all and didn't see anything strange, could you tell me what type of things do you mean? Names? Grammar?

Oh, and thanks for the help ;]
Sergus

Notapor cymruvoodoo » Dom Jul 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Thank you very much for the response. I have been looking around the IGG campaign even though I have visited your site before and was working my way through the spanish rules. Por supuesto, es un poco dificil - but for a very interesting game, it was worth it. Having the rules translated did mean I could speed up reading up on the core principles of the game.

I was interested in Irene Vioque in particular because I like the sense of movement in the figure and I think it will be a very fun and challenging model to paint. To hear that her rules mean I can also cherry-pick a model I like from the Morados to include is excellent news.

As for translation issues, there are a mixture of problems. In some cases, yes, there are outright grammar issues. In other cases the problem is not so much incorrect grammar as it is strange grammar. It's clunky. Let me give you some specific examples.

In the Index: "Troubles when Climbing and Jumping" - it should be either "Trouble when Climbing and Jumping" (change to singular) or "Troubles while Climbing and Jumping" (replace when with while so the plural is correct)

In the Index: "Previous Steps to the Crisis" - Nothing technically wrong here but it's very clunky. Try "Building to Crisis" or "How We Got Here" or "History of the Crisis"

Page 2, top of the page: Instead of saying "information necessary ... is given in the cards" say "on the cards"

Page 2 and subsequent pages: Instead of "Weapons Attributes" I believe you need the singular "Weapon Attributes"' - in English, when you have a list of individual things which are all considered equal in the abstract, you use the singular.

Page 3, in Range: instead of "with effectiveness" you need either the adverb "effectively" or you need "with effect"

Page 3, Discharge: not badly worded from a grammar perspective but from a technical polish perspective it should be reworded in the English. Perhaps "Weapons with this attribute are ranged weapons" or something like that.

Page 3, Special Rules: instead of "It is also possible that these mentioned special rules might only be taken into account when hitting with a Critical, in that case this would be represented with a "(C)" next to the specific rule" say "It is possible that these special rules only function on a Critical hit. Special rules which are critical-only will have a "(C)" next to the name of the rule."

Page 4, top of the page: Instead of saying "perhaps you cannot understand" say "perhaps you are not familiar with"

Page 4, Measurements in Centimetres: Instead of "objective" you want "target"

Page 4, Organising the Game Surface: The bold sentence would be better translated "Be careful not to cover it completely." Also, I personally think a tiny bit of explanation there would not go amiss. Something like "because then you won't be able to shoot anybody" or "because it will be too difficult to maneuver the models" or for whatever reason you say it is.

Page 4, Conflicts and Commissions: The word you want is not "setting" but "scenario"

There are other points further on but I'll keep the list short here.

EDIT:

A follow up question: What pay will Irene cost to include in your force?
cymruvoodoo

Notapor Sergus » Lun Jul 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Mmm... I see. Lots of little things every where XD

If you don't mind, send a message to:

terciocreativo@hotmail.com

Explaining you're Cymruvoodoo ( ;] ), and we'll send you the rest of the rules that aren't in the basic rulebook.

P.S. Irene costs 70 Maravedies.
Sergus

Notapor cymruvoodoo » Lun Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Yep. Many little things. Nothing too huge, but many little things.

E-mail will be on its way soon. Thanks for the information about Irene, that's made my mind up as to what models I want to get.
cymruvoodoo

Volver a GENERAL